To solve early Campbelltown’s unreliable water supply problems, a reservoir and cattle tank were constructed in Allman Street in 1838 using convict labour. It provided Campbelltown with water from 1840 to 1889.
Later, the reservoir was used for recreational purposes, including a huge regatta in 1917. Sadly, the cattle tank became polluted and was the scene of two drownings in the 1920s and 1930s. By the early 1960s, the water had disappeared after the topography of the land changed from nearby earthworks.
The cattle tank and reservoir are both heritage listed and are believed to be the last convict-built constructions in Campbelltown.
Visit the weblink to watch a video hosted by Local Studies Librarian, Andrew Allen, looking at the history of the Cattle Tanks and Reservoir.